I’ve been thinking about signs a lot lately. I’m talking about advertising signs. Recently, I’ve been seeing a billboard sign that says, “If you’re looking for a sign this is it.” The first time the billboard caught my eye, I shrugged it off and went about my business. Then I kept seeing the sign in different locations. Still I didn’t pay it much attention. Then one day, when I saw the sign in route to work, it made me wonder how many times God was trying to tell me something and I didn’t pay it much attention.
A few miles later, a bus sign said, “Live Greater.” This sign brought to mind another sign I used to see all the time that said, “Live Fearless.” Every time I’d see “Live Fearless,” it seemed God was trying to impress upon me to do just that! A little while later, “Let’s Soar” jumped out at me from another bus. I don’t remember what product or service was being advertised on any of these signs. But I certainly remember the words. A few days later, I saw another sign, “Choose Carefully.”
On another day while stuck in traffic lamenting about my circumstances, I sensed God was leading me to take a different route to work. At first, I ignored the prompting. Eventually I made the turn and headed in the direction God was leading me. It wasn’t long after that I came across yet another sign draped across Broad Street in Philadelphia, “Greatness doesn’t quit.” Now God had my attention!
Think about signs for a moment….they provide instruction, identification, warning, guidance, direction, information and, yes encouragement! Ever notice how when God makes you a promise, that your life begins to contradict the very essence of what God said?
There are times when doubt and uncertainty attempt to crowd out God’s promises to me. It’s when my faith begins to wilt that God, in His infinite wisdom uses everyday things and common occurrences to give me a faith lift to re-energize me. As I reflected upon the signs I came across, I began to connect the dots.
- Live Fearless – For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (II Timothy 1:7)
- If you’re looking for a sign this is it – And this shall be a sign unto thee from the Lord, that the Lord will do this thing that he hath spoken. (Isaiah 38:7)
- Let’s Soar – But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. (Isaiah 40:31)
- Choose carefully – I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live. (Deuteronomy 30:19)
- Greatness doesn’t quit – And let us not be weary in well doing; for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. (Galatians 6:9)
These simple, yet profound phrases proved to be a source of encouragement at a critical time in my life. I’m amazed that the God of the universe took time out to encourage me along the road of life. I admit, all too often, I get caught up in the busyness of life and begin to feel like God has forgotten all about me. It was in the midst of my pity party, that God stepped in and said, Enough, Cynthia. Hold fast to my promises. See, I haven’t forgotten about you.”
I’ve learned in my Christian walk that God works in mysterious ways, even advertising signs. What’s your sign? Think about it and let me know what you discover.
by Reverend Cynthia Jackson